Vol. 54 No. 2, December 2002, pp. 46-53
The Elphinstone College building was designed in the Gothic Revival style by Trubshaw. The construction was begun in the 1880s and the college moved to the building in 1888. Over the years the masonry fell victim to corrosion, and insensitively done repairs and additions caused further damage. From 2000 the PWD in consultation with experts brought in by the Kala Ghoda Association began to correct the maintenance practices and the KGA undertook the façade restoration project which began in 2002. The writer who is involved with the project, describes the work of restoring this magnificent façade.